Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A glowing review

I was absolutely thrilled when my mother called from Florida to leave me a message quoting from a review of my book. "She is a brilliant writer," the quote began. The very words every (female, at least) writer wants to hear, and this was the first response to my book from anybody other than my publisher and my loved ones. Strangely, nobody else knew about the review yet, since it wasn't supposed to be out until the end of the week. But somebody had sent an email to somebody else, who sent it to my parents, who soon sent it to me. I quickly found out where I could get a copy of the whole review (the source of the first email, Atwater Library), which wasn't far away. And there I found a pile of the Montreal Review of Books set out by the front door.
It was a little disappointing to read the review from the beginning; the glowing part was only at the very end. But still, it's a very favorable review by a well respected reviewer --with no personal connection to me at all, which often is not the case in the tiny world of Canadian poetry. And I was grateful to get any review at all. Actually, I was grateful even just to have my work read. There are so few readers of poetry in Canada, so to have somebody give that much attention to my writing is an unexpected honour.

http://www.aelaq.org/mrb/article.php?issue=29&article=853&cat=3

No comments:

Post a Comment